This tutorial describes how to install and run Wingo, a window manager written in the Go programming language.
When currently installed and configured as described in this tutorial, Wingo works but many warning messages are printed. I hope this tutorial will make it easier for developers to properly fix these issues.
- If you haven't done so already, run through the Tutorial Prerequisites Tutorial.
- Install and configure go.
- Install the following packages from DPorts.
- Apply the change from the previous step to the running shell. Either log out and log back in or run the following command.
- Install Wingo. Run the following command.
go get github.com/BurntSushi/wingo
- Copy the default xinitrc configuration file that is run while running startx as a template for your xsession configuration file that is run when you log in from the xdm display manager. Run the following command.
cp /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc $HOME/.xsession
- Change the permissions on your xsession configuration file so that you, the owner of the file, can edit it. Run the following command.
chmod u+w $HOME/.xsession
- Set Wingo as the display manager in your xsession configuration file. Skim through $HOME/.xsession to find the following lines.
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
Then edit the previous lines to match the following lines and save the change to disk.
xclock -geometry 56x56-0-0 &
xterm -geometry 168x48+2+2 &
xterm -geometry 112x4-65-0 -e wingo &
exec xterm -geometry 43x4+2-0 -name "close me to log out"
- If you use the Dvorak keyboard layout instead of the QWERTY keyboard layout, add the following line to /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 and save the change to disk.
- Enable the xdm display manager for a graphical login at startup. Skim through /etc/ttys to find the following line.
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm off secure
Then edit the previous line to match the following line and save the change to disk.
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
- As of DragonFly BSD 4.0.2, the VirtualBox emulated mouse needs the moused daemon running, so add the following line to /etc/rc.conf and save the change to disk.
- Restart DragonFly BSD and log in.