Git GUI Tutorial
This tutorial describes how to compile and install git with the GUI option enabled.
- If you haven't done so already, run through the Tutorial Prerequisites Tutorial.
- If you haven't done so already, install a window manager such as Wingo.
- Prepare the environment in which git will be built. Run the following commands.
sudo make dports-create-shallow
sudo make config
Now highlight the GUI option and press the space bar to select it. Then highlight OK and press enter.
- Now build git and wrap up, including making a symbolic link of wish8.6 so that it can be found by git-gui. Run the following commands.
sudo make NO_DIALOG=yes
sudo pkg remove git
sudo make install
sudo ln -sf /usr/local/bin/wish8.6 /usr/local/bin/wish
- If your window manager is running, run the following commands while in a git repository to use git graphically.